Stop the Insanity-From a Plus-Sized Fit Girl

I may never look like a Rockette, but it won’t stop me from working out with one.

My husband and I are on Day Four of the Insanity workout. It’s brutal and quite honestly the only reason I’m doing it is because he wanted to and I’m too damn competitive to let him workout without me. I’m not proud of that, but I’m all about honesty so there you have it. I’m abusing my body for forty minutes every day for the next 60 days because I’m a stubborn little b-i-t-c-h.

It’s gotten my thinking though, all this insanity,: this is why people yo-yo. We have an all or nothing attitude about fitness and weight loss in this country so we either go insane or we do nothing. Yes, the guys and ladies in this workout video have perfect bodies, but that isn’t the only way to be healthy and not having a perfect body shouldn’t stop you from using yours as much as possible.

I’m a size 12. Despite my healthy eating and regular exercise and over 30 pound weight loss, in the last year, I have lost one, yes one, clothes size. Apparently my waist (and hips and chest…) is also stubborn. I don’t look anything like those people in the exercise video but so far I’m keeping up with them. In any fashion industry publication I’d qualify as plus-size even though I can outlast my 6’3″ 100andskinny pound husband on a run and so far have been able to do at least as much as he can in these workouts that anyone will tell you are beyond-challenging.

I used to think if I didn’t or even couldn’t look like the trainers at my gym then why should I bother. I used to think if I did everything “right” and wasn’t a size four then why bother? Let me just have my ice-cream and evening on the couch with my favorite friend, the television.

Then I shook off all those expectations of what was supposed to happen when you ate well and exercised and just started nourishing my body and soul and everything was perfect. My “numbers” at the doctor are all near perfect, my immune system is pretty solid. I feel great and I’m mostly happy (everybody has days right?). I don’t count calories.  I don’t exercise like a crazy person except under the duress of my husband’s wishes. (Kidding, Dear.) I live my life according to what I feel like I need and so far it’s working out great.

And I’m still a size twelve.

My mission as a coach is to get the word out to people that it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I want my clients to see that perfect looks different on every body and that you don’t have to be a size 4 or working out every single minute of the day and eating kale in between to be healthy and happy and fit.

Regular girls can be healthy too. Even if they are, according to the world, plus-sized or, according to me,  just plain normal.

If you’re interested in taking back your life and making it perfect for you, contact me about the EmpowHered groups and individual coaching that is starting this fall.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Blog, Personal wellness. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Stop the Insanity-From a Plus-Sized Fit Girl

1. Cathy says:

I agree. Not every person is built to be a size 4 and as soon as society starts to realize this we will all be much happier!

2. Terrific post – I completely aagree. And you look fantastic!

3. Vandria@yahoo.com says:

I totally agree! And from another part of the spectrum as a size 4 in pathetic post babies shape… It’s rare to find support when I say I’m trying to get in shape again. There’s a lot of ‘you look fine’ or eye rolling. But it’s not about whatever my size ‘looks’ like!

• I agree. As a former “Skinny complaint eye-roller” I realize now everyone’s got their pounds or inches to lose-no matter what they look like in jeans. Good luck with your journey but remember to forgive yourself. Having babies is no small task. There is plenty of time to change your body. It worked hard!

4. Adrienne says:

So true! Thank you for posting this!

5. I’m in the same situation and this blog came right at the time I was going to give up :)

6. selfishmom says:

I love this. I’m such an all-or-nothing person, which means that most things end up being nothing. This summer with my kids gone at camp I made exercise a priority, and now of course, with them back, I haven’t even thought about exercising. I need to figure out how to fit it in without making a big deal about it. My numbers at the doctor are also perfect, which should make me happy, but instead it’s like a disincentive to lose weight!

BTW, you look great. I think you’re at my goal weight. :-)

• First, you’re too kind. Second, I totally get the “disincentive”. I used to go crazy, then get to my first goal and that would be enough to quit. This is the first time in my life I’ve exercised consistently since I was a high school athlete and that was only because I had to practice. I think the difference now is that my goal was exercise in some way every day rather than a weight or or size goal. There is no end date.

7. Pingback: Losing it.

8. Amy says:

I just randomly found this post on Pinterest, but let me say, I am right there with you! My boyfriend is one of those thin guys who can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight and a natural distance runner and his cholesterol is through the ROOF. I outweigh him by 80 pounds, but my cholesterol is perfect, bp perfect, all other bloodwork perfect, and I can keep up with him on our steep hikes, bike rides, long walks, etc. I can’t run as far or as fast as him (yet), but I can keep up with him otherwise, and I’m 5’10″, about 230 lbs., and a size 16/18.

• Wouldn’t it be great if we could feel beautiful based on the distance we run or the numbers on our medical charts instead of the inside label of our dresses and jeans? Rock on with your hikes and runs and perfect “numbers”. Here’s to the big and fit.

9. Janis Knight says:

I agree with your profound wisdom, if only this theory could take trend and became reality to those who don’t value their image at any size.